Mount Sanqing, or Sanqingshan, is a UNESCO Global Geopark located within the region of Shangrao City, Jiangxi Province. The mountain features three main summits being Yujing, Yushui, and Yuhua. Yujing is the tallest at 1817 meters.
It is a sacred Taoist mountain in Chinese culture with the three peaks representing the Three Pure Ones who are the highest ‘gods’ in the Taoist belief. As you’d expect, the mountain features several temples and shrines.
Ten Scenic Areas of Sanqingshan
- Nanqingyuan Scenic Area (南清园景区) – Nanqing Park is a concentrated display of the granite peaks and geomorphology formed by the geological evolution of 1.4 billion years. It is the essence of the natural landscape of Sanqing Mountain. The three landmarks of Sanqing Mountain are all in this scenic spot.
- Sanqinggong Scenic Area (三清宫景区) – it is the epicenter of Sanqing Mountain’s cultural landscape and ancient Taoist buildings. There are more than 230 ancient buildings and cultural relics located in this area.
- West Coast Scenic Area (西海岸景区) – this area features the famous plank walking path that is attached to the side of the alpine cliffs. It is one of the longest cliffside paths in the world and provides spectacular scenery. This path joins the above two areas. And also can take you to Yujing Peak.
- Yujing Peak Scenic Area (玉京峰景区) – featuring the natural landscape and vertical tower-like peak it is one of the most strenuous areas to visit
- East Coast Scenic Area (Sunshine Coast Scenic Area) (东海岸景区) – it is the second high-altitude plank road. It has a total length of 4,000 meters and an average elevation of 1,600 meters.
- Wanshou Garden Scenic Area (万寿园景区) – a three-kilometer route that captures Taoist culture
- Yuling Scenic Area (玉灵观景区) – ecological landscape
- Xihuatai Scenic Area (西华台景区) – scenic trail with small waterfalls, bridges, and landscape views
- Shiguling Scenic Area (石鼓岭景区) – the main area for the mountains waterfalls
- Sandongkou Scenic Area (三洞口景区) – not many people go this path and more care should be taken. It features natural landscapes and waterfall.
There is a southern gate, eastern gate, and the northern gate. The southern and eastern gates have the option of a cable car.
The areas around the cable car stations are well developed with some hotels, shops, restaurants. The northern gate is less developed.
To do a loop that covers the key sights including the Jade Platform, Oriental Goddess, Python Out of Mountain, and Sanqing Temple would take around 8 hours. Another option is to stay on the mountain and do sections of the mountain over consecutive days.
The best time to visit is for two days. Staying on the mountain for one night, you can see the sunrise and sunset, and have ample time to visit the key attractions. Fans of hiking, nature, and photography will likely want to keep on exploring and maybe stay even longer.
Food, snacks, and drinks are readily available on the mountain. There is even Western-style fast food at the cable station base. Regardless, you’d pack some snacks and water. The park also has toilets along the trails and you should pack your own wipes/tissues.
Time to spend here: the whole day through to multiple days of return visits (it’s huge). Tickets allow for two days and take your passport to register.
Sanqing Mountain Tourist Map – click for a larger image. Also, here is a link to the Baidu Map, although it’s in Chinese it does provide trails and icons for POI’s.
Staying on the Mountain
There are hotels at the base of the mountain around the southern and eastern cable car stations and a limited number of hotels near the upper cable stations on the mountain. You can also camp on the mountain and there are people who rent camping gear.
Near the Southern Cable Car base
Hilton Sanqingshan Resort (三清山希尔顿度假酒店) – the modern five-star hotel offers reasonable rates and also offers transfers from Shangrao Railway Station (book in advance). A few minutes from the cable car.
Near the Eastern Cable car base
ELBA S&N Hotel & Resort (雅栢远洲度假酒店) – clean four-star resort with large rooms, and restaurant. A short walk from the cable car.
Staying on the mountain
Mountain accommodation is basic and sometimes pricey, there are only 4-5 places which are near to the southern cable car station.
Tiyunling Hotel – They offer tents and rooms. Rooms feature TV, kettle, AC.
- Chinese Name: 三清山
- UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Site listed in 2008
- Location: Yushan County, Jiangxi
- National 4A tourist area
- Ticket price: 120 RMB + 5 RMB Insurance fee (optional cable car: 70 RMB ↑ – 55 RMB ↓)
- Summer open hours: Monday to Friday – 07:30 to 17:00 Saturday/Sunday – 06:30 to 18:00
- Winter open hours: Monday to Friday – 08:30 to 16:30 Saturday/Sunday – 07:00 to 17:00
- It is located 98 km away from Shangrao City, 76 km from Wuyuan County, 54 km from Yushan County, and 97 km away from Dexing.
Getting to Sanqing
There are regular direct buses that depart from Shangrao Bus Station (上饶汽车站) to the Southern cableway of the south of Sanqingshan: 7:00, 8:00, 9:00, 10:30, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:30. Coming back, shuttle bus departure time from the south of Sanqingshan (Sanqingshan International Resort Hotel) to Shangrao: 8:00, 9:30, 11:00, 12:30, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00, 17:00. The Hilton Sanqingshan Resort offers free pickups from Shangroa for guests.
Take the fast train from Shanghai Hongqiao Railway Station to Yushan South Station which takes around 3 hours. You can take a bus from Yushan to the base of the mountain. Two hours and 20 RMB. Alternatively, you can take a taxi from Yuahsan for around 150 RMB.
In the surrounding areas of the Geopark, Sanqing Lake (三清湖风景区), Lingshan (灵山), Da Maoshan (大茅山), Dexing Mine Park (德兴矿山公园), Wuyuan Village (婺源)